Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Peter Mount
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 12 May 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> I've starting writing some code against LIBPQ and the PQsetdb() call
> doesn't establish a connection. I get the following error message when I
> ran my program:
>
> "Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'zztong' using the default
> authentication type: be_recvauth: host-based authentication failed"

Check that you have pg_hba.conf setup correctly.

> Q: I saw somebody recommend a "-i" option for what seemed like a similar
> situation, but I don't see that option on the man pages. Is it related to
> my problem?

running postmaster with -i enables communication via tcp-ip sockets. The
JDBC & ODBC drivers need this to operate.

> Q: Attempts to use MS-Access with the PostODBC driver failed. Could this
> be related?

Yes (see above)

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net