Re: [HACKERS] newoid in invapi.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [HACKERS] newoid in invapi.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Maurice Gittens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the file large_object/inv_api.c there is a statement in the function
> inv_create
> which goes:
>
>     file_oid=newoid() + 1;
>
> later on a heap_create_with_catalog call is performed to create a heap
> for the large object called xinv<file_oid>.
>
> According to code (and the comments in the code) the assumption is that the
> oid
> of the heap_relation will be equal to the value of the variable file_oid.
>
> This of course will only be the case if nobody else called newoid()
> before the heap relation is created.
>
> This might lead the large object implementation to confuse
> large object relations with other relations.
>
> According to me this is a bug. I'm I right?

Yes, and no. LargeObjects are supposed to run within a transaction (if you
don't then some fun things happen), and (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
if newoid() is called from within the transaction, it is safe?

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder