Re: [HACKERS] Memory leaks for large objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Memory leaks for large objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Maurice Gittens wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I think large objects are leaking memory because the large object functions
> in the backend use their own GlobalMemoryContext (called Filesystem), which
> (according to a quick grep) is never freed.
>
> Supposing this is true and I ensure that the large object subsystem always
> uses the current memory context for it's memory allocations.
>
> What might go wrong? (Or why did the designers decide to use a
> GlobalMemoryContext for large objects?).
>
> I simple don't understand why one would create a special memory context
> for large objects without some special reason.
> Or should I just try it and see is anything breaks?

I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at that part of the code
a couple of months back. It would be interesting to see if anything did
break.

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder