Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem (debugging output) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Hughes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem (debugging output)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

: I assume you have run initdb after doing the sup.  Prior to the beta
: release today, things could have changed in the database format.
:

Yes. I always do a "make distclean", cvsup the latest code, build and
install everything, delete the data directory and start from scratch.

Everything works as expected until >>AFTER<< running "vacuum analyze"...

vtest=> \d

Database    = vtest
 +------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
 |  Owner           |             Relation             |   Type   |
 +------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
 | jamesh           | city                             | table    |
 | jamesh           | county                           | table    |
 | jamesh           | i_city                           | index    |
 | jamesh           | i_county                         | index    |
 | jamesh           | i_state                          | index    |
 | jamesh           | s_city                           | sequence |
 | jamesh           | s_county                         | sequence |
 | jamesh           | s_state                          | sequence |
 | jamesh           | state                            | table    |
 +------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
vtest=> \d city

Table    = city
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
|  Field               |              Type           | Length|
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
| serial               | int4                        |4      |
| county               | int4                        |4      |
| state                | int4                        |4      |
| addr1                | text                        |var    |
| addr2                | text                        |var    |
| name                 | text                        |var    |
| zip                  | text                        |var    |
| title                | text                        |var    |
| lname                | text                        |var    |
| fname                | text                        |var    |
| phone                | text                        |var    |
| fax                  | text                        |var    |
| notes                | text                        |var    |
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
vtest=>
vtest=> vacuum ;
VACUUM
vtest=> \d city

Table    = city
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
|      Field           |           Type              |Length |
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
| serial               | int4                        |4      |
| county               | int4                        |4      |
| state                | int4                        |4      |
| addr1                | text                        |var    |
| addr2                | text                        |var    |
| name                 | text                        |var    |
| zip                  | text                        |var    |
| title                | text                        |var    |
| lname                | text                        |var    |
| fname                | text                        |var    |
| phone                | text                        |var    |
| fax                  | text                        |var    |
| notes                | text                        |var    |
+----------------------+-----------------------------+-------+
vtest=> vacuum analyze;
VACUUM
vtest=> select * from city;
serial|county|state|addr1|addr2|name|zip|title|lname|fname|phone|fax|notes
------+------+-----+-----+-----+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+---+-----
(0 rows)

<< Exit & Run Perl Script To Populate Database >>

vtest=> select * from city;

10000565|10000098|10000000|     |     |Yadkinville         |   |     |
|     |     |   |
10000566|10000099|10000000|     |     |Burnsville          |   |     |
|     |     |   |
(567 rows)

vtest=> vacuum;
VACUUM

vtest=> \d city

Table    = city
+-----------------------+---------------------------+-------+
|      Field            |          Type             |Length |
+-----------------------+---------------------------+-------+
| serial                | int4                      |4      |
| county                | int4                      |4      |
| state                 | int4                      |4      |
| addr1                 | text ...
                                      ...           |var    |
vtest=> vacuum analyze;
VACUUM
vtest=> \d city
ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

vtest=> \dS
ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

-James