Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
> So if I build and sell an appliance (hardware+software) based on
> debian and using the 'free' collection of software, suddenly I'm not
> in compliance with their license.  Sounds like a time-bomb waiting to
> explode.

I think MySQL is using deceptive language about what you can and can't do
with MySQL.  They use "create an application using MySQL" as a synonym for
"modififying the source code of MySQL".  Reall, it's just standard GPL -
they are just trying to muddy the waters to make buying it an easier road.
If you read at the bottom, they basically say that if you don't modify
their source code, you can still redistribute, but add some "iffy"
language to get you to fear doing so.

Jon