Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
> > It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
> > support, and the license involved.  A consultant my company hired before
> > bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
> > support, as well as ACID support.

The fact is that PG has features that MySQL doesn't have that are REALLY
needed.  The big ones being views, subselects, functions, triggers, and
constraints.  Small queries run by a few users may run faster on MySQL.
When you get to real queries by large groups, it almost always favors PG.
In fact, as youre application grows, you will find MySQL completely
useless.  I always get frustrated when MySQL is touted as a great
open-source database.  Especially when the field is very rich - PG, SAP,
and Firebird all come to mind.

Jon