Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user  (Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>)
List pgsql-general
> > If we were to start again
> > from scratch now, I'd still use InnoDB over postgres unless the
> > performance picked up with postgres recently.
> >
> > Keep in mind our application is very write-heavy so your numbers may
> > be different. Does postgres still keep the old row versions in the
> > primary-key B-Tree? If it does I doubt performance improved much for
> > write-heavy apps, that was a very poor design decision by them. InnoDB
> > takes the Oracle route of moving old row versions to a seperate
> > on-disk data structure.

1) A write-heavy app will almost certainly be faster with Postgres.

2) Postgres has had many speed improvements over the last few years

3) If your point was to move to a relational database, then you should
choose Postgres.  MySQL, although it's SQL, hardly qualifies as relational

For example, MySQL does not have:

  * Triggers
  * Stored Procedures
  * Subselects (although they may have added this one)

And then when you want to do real transactions, MySQLs speed slows way
down.

If you are moving _to_ a database system, it seems pointless to stop
halfway and go with MySQL, when you can go the full way with Postgres.

Jon