Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Date
List pgsql-general
> While your statement is correct I did want to clarify that IDE and SCSI
> were lumped together and they should not be.  SCSI and IDE performance
> expectations differ because their bus technologies are dramatically
> different.  IDE has some serious performance issues with multiple disks
> per channel.  A single disk can effectively tie up an IDE channel for

Actually, IDE has performance issues even with only 1 disk per channel.
The SCSI command set allows disconnected operations, so that the kernel
can send commands (get block xxx, get block yyy, get block zzz) and keep
sending commands while the drive processes the answers.  With IDE, it is a
synchronous transmission - get blox xxx, wait until disk processes,
receive block xxx, get block yyy, wait until disk processes, receive block
yyy.  SCSI disks can also reorder the requests and service them based on
how quickly it can get to each one.

Even on one-channel-per-disk, SCSI wins out.

Jon