Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> This patch adds another flag to pg_dump, this time to disable statistics
> collection.

You can pass session parameters to anything that uses the standard libpq
library using PGOPTIONS.  See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/config-setting.html for a
sample.  I suspect that something like:

PGOPTIONS='-c stats_block_level=false -c stats_row_level=false' pg_dump

would do the same thing as your patch without having to touch the code.

That's a pretty obscure bit of information though, and it would be
worthwhile to update the documentation suggesting such a syntax because I
think this would be handy for a lot of people.  I was already planning to
do that for another use case (pgbench) once the 8.4 work here shifts from
development to testing and I have some more time for writing.