Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Nathan Boley wrote:

> - all classes ( 58, 135, 205 ) are 'old-style' classes.  I dont see
> any reason to use classic classes ( unless Python 2.1 is a support
> goal? )

I'm not targeting anything older then 2.4, as that's the oldest version I
have installed anywhere.  2.4 is still an important target because it's
the version that comes with the very popular RHEL4.  I've worked on some
SuSE 9 boxes that only have 2.3 as recently as last year, but I consider
that a legacy version I don't care much about mainly because the kinds of
programs I'm usually writing tend to rely heavily on using "subprocess",
added in 2.4.

The answers to all of your other points is that I'm relatively new to
Python and just didn't know any of that.  I'll convert to new style
classes, use __str__ properly, and switch all the getters to use
properties now that you've pointed me toward those.  Improving the
rudimentary doc strings was already on my list, that's not a major target
though because this project has its own documentation standards and I
can't do anything useful with the output from pydoc.  I'm only interested
in documenting things about the source code itself in there, anything
user-related needs to go in the official docs.

> I'd be happy to officially review this if it gets to that.

Just added you to the wiki in that role.  I should have a first version
that's of commit candidate quality ready to go in the next week.  If you
could make a second pass then and see how I did implementing your
suggestions, that would be great.