Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> the patch works for data that contains no backslashes, asterisks,
> backquotes, vertical bars, nor underscores.

These characters don't show up very much in real world data.  You'll find
[-.,:;!@#$%&()"] in just about everything; those would be a problem.
Occasionally I'll see data files that use * in them, that's the main
source for the ones I was suggesting I'd have to tweak with a
search/replace (* -> \*) before the output would be useful.  But [\`|_]?
Unless you're storing source code or similar computer-ish stuff in your
database, you just don't see those characters.  The kind of regular text a
normal business dumps into a database just doesn't use them.

> I am quite certain that anyone trying to pass data into a ReST-reading
> application will soon be dissatisfied with this patch.

If anyone can suggest a common data source that a) makes sense to output
in tabular form and b) uses one of the special characters that's a problem
here, I'd grudgingly concede here.  A quick search of the stuff I work on
finds filenames like "C:\WINDOWS" as the only thing I run into with any
frequency close to that category, and it's rare I'd be dumping something
with a filename into tabular output.