Re: Checkpoints writes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Checkpoints writes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Cyril SCETBON wrote:

> What's the way to count the read/write bytes of the checkpoint process
> before 8.3 (no pg_stat_bgwriter view :-[ ) I want to distinguish bytes
> written by checkpoints and others written by the background process

The reason that view was added was because it's really hard to figure that
out in earlier versions.  Theoretically you could have some operating
system level program that tracked I/O on a per-process basis, noting which
one was the background writer process and counting those separately.  I
found it easier to work on adding the counters instead.

It's not really complete, but I did have a functional prototype of a
pg_stat_bgwriter implementation that worked against 8.2 if that helps you
any: http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/perfmon82.htm