Re: recovery via base + WAL replay failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: recovery via base + WAL replay failure
Date
Re: recovery via base + WAL replay failure  (Rob Adams <robfadams@cox.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Rob Adams wrote:

> I made a base backup while the postgres was running using the following batch
> file:
> psql -d test_database -U user_name -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('test');"

What did you have archive_command set to?  That needs to dump the WAL
files generated while the backup is going on somewhere that gets copied
over after the main copy is done, and you need the last of them referenced
by the backup copied over before you can use that backup.  Steps (1) and
(5) of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html
are the hard parts here and I don't see that you're addressing them so
far, and that will keep the copy from starting if all the files aren't
there.