Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 5 May 2008, Craig James wrote:

> pgbench -i -s 20 -U test

That's way too low to expect you'll see a difference in I/O schedulers.
A scale of 20 is giving you a 320MB database, you can fit the whole thing
in RAM and almost all of it on your controller cache.  What's there to
schedule?  You're just moving between buffers that are generally large
enough to hold most of what they need.

> pgbench -c 10 -t 50000 -v -U test

This is OK, because when you increase the size you're not going to be
pushing 3500 TPS anymore and this test will take quite a while.