Re: Replication Syatem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Replication Syatem
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Gauri Kanekar wrote:

> We are doing vacuum full every alternate day. We also do vacuum analyze
> very often. We are currently using 8.1.3 version...Have already tried
> all the option listed by you, thats y we reached to the decision of
> having a replication sytsem.

Andrew Sullivan has already given a response here I agree with, I wanted
to expland on that.  You have a VACUUM problem.  The fact that you need
(or feel you need) to VACUUM FULL every other day says there's something
very wrong here.  The way to solve most VACUUM problems is to VACUUM more
often, so that the work in each individual one never gets so big that your
system takes an unnaceptable hit, and you shouldn't ever need VACUUM FULL.
Since your problem is being aggrevated because you're running a
dangerously obsolete version, that's one of the first things you should
fix--to at least the latest 8.1 if you can't deal with a larger version
migration.  The fact that you're happily running 8.1.3 says you most
certainly haven't tried all the other options here.

Every minute you spend looking into a replication system is wasted time
you could be spending on the right fix here.  You've fallen into the
common trap where you're fixated on a particular technical solution so
much that you're now ignoring suggestions on how to resolve the root
problem.  Replication is hard to get going even on a system that works
perfectly, and replicating a known buggy system just to work around a
problem really sounds like a bad choice.