Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Brendan Jurd wrote:

> I wonder if we should namespace the CommitFest pages by year as well
> as month (i.e., move CommitFest:May to CommitFest:May2008).

This already came up on pgsql-www and as I just replied to over there, the
current structure has some things I'd like to fix beyond just this (and
there's a pending namespace vs. categories argument brewing there).
That's the list where this sort of thing will get hashed out at.  Please
come join so you can get sucke...err, volunteer to help out even more than
you already have.

> This way, even after we've had a CommitFest:May in 2009/2010/etc., the
> history of the May 2008 CommitFest will still be easily viewable as a
> discrete item.

There ultimately should be pages for "CommitFest:2008" and
"CommitFest:8.4" that the Wiki generates itself.  I'd prefer not to see
any band-aid changes made in this area that aren't thinking forward to
address those as well.  Work on improving the structure for May instead
like you've been doing, that's much more valuable right now IMHO.

> We probably need to have the following redirects in place:
> * CommitFest:Current (for reviewers)...

Ditto here.  I already intend to eliminate the CommitFest redirect you've
put there already and replace it with a page listing the "Views" available
one day, and I'd prefer not to see more of these floating around.

Redirects are designed to be a useful hack when a page gets removed or to
handle common shortcuts/errors.  In general, if you're relying on them
heavily for external navigation structure, you're probably not using the
right tool for that sort of job.