Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> The only thing I think I have a right to ask is that whatever
> contributions I may make not be a waste of effort because the PG
> decision-makers have decided that a certain repository is now
> "official", and the previous one is defunct.

Contributions to postgresqldocs.org are licensed such the author still
retains copyright on that work.  If you write something there and later
decide some other site would be a better home for the documentation you
wrote, you can copy whatever you did over.  You should never work on
documentation you want to contribute to the world with someone if you
don't end up with the ability to use it elsewhere afterwards.

> So I'd ask those decision-makers to come up with a single consistent
> story for us run-of-the-mill community members.

Right now the official home for community documentation is
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs

I personally find editing and posting material there too difficult, which
is why I'm writing on the postgresqldocs.org wiki instead.  The PostgreSQL
WWW team is investigating a more flexible approach as well.  You can find
a recent statement of their plans in this area at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-02/msg00217.php

If you're concerned about contributing to a site not officially under the
banner of the PostgreSQL Global Development Group, by all means wait to
see what they come up.  There can't be a "single consistent story" from
them and from "run-of-the-mill" me until they've built something that
isn't available yet.  Since I like to write but am not into that sort of
infrastructure building task, I just keep chugging away at what I'm good
at while I wait to see how that turns out.