What is the community, WAS: Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject What is the community, WAS: Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:27:43 -0500
Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing I think I have a right to ask is that whatever
> contributions I may make not be a waste of effort because the PG
> decision-makers have decided that a certain repository is now
> "official", and the previous one is defunct.  So I'd ask those
> decision-makers to come up with a single consistent story for us
> run-of-the-mill community members.

I don't think anyone can argue with this:

http://www.postgresqldocs.org is not a PostgreSQL.org project.

It is a PostgreSQL Community project, by the very nature that it has
PostgreSQL community members contributing to it.

The confusion comes in when sweeping statements of tasks and projects
not being part of the "community". Where "community" is not correctly
defined. However when we use such a limited, false and frankly naive
definition of community, PostgreSQL.org becomes nothing because it loses
everything that makes it powerful.

Consider that only three drivers are developed under PostgreSQL.org,
jdbc, psqlodbc and C. All of the others are developed independently of
PostgreSQL.Org and yet are respectable and deserving members of the
"community".

Further consider that applications that make PostgreSQL.org powerful
Drupal, WordPress, Postgis, Postbooks, and LedgerSMB etc... are also
not developed under PostgreSQL.org but are very much a part of the
community.

Lastly let's not forget our regional communities such as PostgreSQL.eu,
itpug.org, PostgreSQLFR.org, PostgreSQL.BR etc... We can in anyway
suggest they are not members of the "community" can we?

As a "run-of-the-mill" community member, I argue that your perceptions,
are more important than the self inflated ideals of any
"contributor" (myself included), because there are 1000 run-of-the-mill
community members for every known contributor. It is those 1000
run-of-the-mill community members that are actually driving the growth
of our "Community" which encompasses but is not anywhere near limited
to PostgreSQL.org and yet has everything to do with, "PostgreSQL"

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins