Re: [OT] RAID controllers blocking one another? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [OT] RAID controllers blocking one another?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 2:17 PM, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>> two3-ware cards, one 9640SE-24 and one 9640SE-16
> Sounds like they're sharing something they shouldn't be.  I'm not real
> familiar with PCI-express.  Aren't those the ones that use up to 16
> channels for I/O?  Can you divide it to 8 and 8 for each PCI-express
> slot in the BIOS maybe, or something like that?

I can't find the 9640SE-24/16 anywhere, but presuming these are similar to
(or are actually) the 9650SE cards then each of them is using 8 lanes of
the 16 available.  I'd need to know the exact motherboard or system to
even have a clue what the options are for adjusting the BIOS and whether
they are shared or independant.

But I haven't seen one where there's any real ability to adjust how the
I/O is partitioned beyond adjusting what slot you plug things into so
that's probably a dead end anyway.  Given the original symptoms, one thing
I would be suspicious of though is whether there's some sort of IRQ
conflict going on.  Sadly we still haven't left that kind of junk behind
even on current PC motherboards.