Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE printing logical and hardware I/O per-node - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE printing logical and hardware I/O per-node
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Decibel! wrote:

> Someone want to throw together some code that actually measures this? Maybe
> something that keeps a histogram of how many instructions take place per I/O
> request? If it turns out that counters do vary too much between CPUs, there
> might be ways that we can account for that.

I'd expect the easiest way to do a proof of concept here would be to use
the Linux oprofile tool.  That's already abstracted away the differences
in hardware counters and provides a relatively simple interface to collect
the data without getting bogged down with implementation there.  Starting
from scratch, going right to the hardware counters and building from
there, is a big project--they've been hacking on oprofile for almost six
years now and still aren't suggesting it's release quality yet.