Re: [GENERAL] Slow PITR restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Slow PITR restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:

> I don't follow. The problem is not writes but reads. And if the reads
> are random enough no cache controller will help.

The specific example Tom was running was, in his words, "100% disk write
bound".  I was commenting on why I thought that was on his system and why
it wasn't representative of the larger problem.  You need at least a basic
amount of write caching for this situation before the problem moves to
being read seek bound.