Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance  (Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Mark Niedzielski wrote:

> The Macs perform common and complex Postgres operations in about half
> the time of our unloaded production hardware.

Are they write intensive?  If so, it may be possible that the Macs are
buffering disk writes while production server isn't.  It's often the case
that desktop systems will cheat at writes while servers don't.

> Is there a trick to making AMDs perform?

One problem you can run into is that the default configuration on some
Linux+AMD systems will include aggressive power management that throttles
the CPU clock down.  Take a look at /proc/cpuinfo on your server and see
what the "cpu MHz" reads; if it's 1000.00 or otherwise doesn't match what
you expect, you may need to turn off or otherwise tune power management to
keep the system running at full speed.  My home AMD dual-core system was
positively sluggish until I fixed that.

> Does Linux suck compared to BSD?

Not the Mac OS BSD.  Last time I looked into this OS X was still
dramatically slower than Linux on things like process creation.