Re: L - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: L
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> in the current version of your document you only talk about key buffers,
> but these will not affect all storage engines! I am not a DB tuning
> expert, so this should be double checked.

The way I read their documentation, that tunable works the same way for
all the storage engines.  If that's not the case, that's a mistake in the
MySQL documentation I link to.  I'll put a note about it if you can find
evidence otherwise.

That "implicit commit" stuff is good to know, will add a pointer to that
next time I'm touching the document.  It goes along with the general theme
of sloppy implementation I've been weaving in that document.

> Before we publish it, we might also want to alert some of the high
> profile MySQL tuning experts and get their comments. I can take care of
> this if you would like me to.

I say bring 'em on.  If somone seriously into MySQL wants to send me
corrections, I'll be glad to incorporate them.  And if they want to write
a full-on rebuttal, why I'll even link to that right in the document if
it's well done.  But if they're not as fair as I've tried to be or make a
mistake doing that, I might just switch into debunking mode instead; I'm
tricky that way.