Re: contrib promotion? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: contrib promotion?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We estimate 1 month for both us to complete these issues/todos and
1 month extra to write documentation, so we certainly are not ready
for 8.2, most probable 8.3. We're looking for sponsorship of our work.

Oleg

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Teodor Sigaev wrote:

>> tsearch2 is functionality that definitely should be in core eventually,
>> but even Oleg still says it's not done.  Aside from the documentation
>> issue, it's not clear that we've got a stable API for it.
>
> Issues/TODO to move tsearch2 into core (by fast look)
> * memory management. Dictionaries and tsearch2 itself cache a lot
>  of data in memory allocated by malloc/palloc(TopContext) and
>  not all can be correctly freed by reset_tsearch() function.
> * tsearch2 doesn't automatically reinit dictionary/configuration
>  after configuration changes
> * Also, dictionary doesn't automatically recompile its files if they
>  were changed
> * It will be good to store shared information (such as
>  dictionary's structure) in shared memory. For example,
>  ispell dict takes for compile its files about 1-5 seconds, sharing
>  should help
> * I suppose, at least snowball stemmers should be compiled in
>  postgresql or compiled them into separate *.so libs. Sources
>  of all snowball's files take ~1Mb on disk. The goal is easier
>  configuration for end-user. Ispell dict's files take 1-3 Mb per
>  language.
> * Now database can be created with another encoding then cluster was
>  initialized, but locale can't be changed. Tsearch2 depends on locale
>  because of lower/upper casing and isalpha(and somr another is*). So,
>  it's possible to get unworking tsearch2 configuration.
>

> I'm going to vacation tomorrow for two week, so I havn't time to resolve that
> issues before feature freeze, sorry.

>              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83