Re: First Step to Major Use: Integrated Full-Text - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: First Step to Major Use: Integrated Full-Text
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Filipe,

integrating of tsearch2 into PostgreSQL core is one of our major task.
We have rather big TODO for tsearch2
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch2_TODO
We hope to complete it for next release (8.2). It depends only from
sponsoring. UTF8 compatibility is underway and some code was already submitted
to CVS.

     Oleg
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, C. Filipe Medeiros wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I've been using Postgres for 3 years now, and as far as I'm concerned, it
> blows all other open source (and many commercial) database systems out of the
> water. I'm kind of upset at its lack of support by web hosts, open source
> projects, and the web developer community-at-large.
>
>   I'm putting together an e-Commerce application framework specifically
> designed for web programmers and developers (more flexibility/easier high-end
> customization at the expense of being useful to non-professionals) and I
> designed it originally with Postgres (though it does have a data abstraction
> layer). I realized that the full-text search support for Postgres would be
> sketchy and most users might opt for MySQL instead since (A) their host
> doesn't support Tsearch2 or OpenFTS (i.e., the user needs special rights to
> install custom functions on Pgsql that most hosts won't allow) or (B) they're
> great developers... but not great Sysadmins or DbAdmins and messing with the
> database server is out-of-their-league.
>
>   Now, Tsearch2 (which I use primarily) beats MySQL's native search out of
> the water (or at least the last version that I used, which didn't return any
> results if the total number of results was below a certain threshold). It's
> very powerful, customizeable, and relatively easy to use - or at least easy
> enough for any developer familiar with SQL.
>
>   I think a major step that the development community behind Pgsql could
> take to advance the project would be to take Tsearch2 or OpenFTS and make one
> of them (I prefer the Tsearch2 architecture, but then I haven't used OpenFTS
> in a while) native to Postgres rather than a contrib.
>
>   What do you think?
>
>      C. Filipe Medeiros
>      http://www.nutritionalcenter.com/

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83