Re: tsearch2 seem very slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tsearch2 seem very slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Ahmad Fajar wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> Sorry for my late. From the stat() function I got 1,5 million rows, although
> I've added garbage words to the stop word file, there seem still have
> garbage words. So I ask for my team to identify the garbage words and add to

what king of garbage ? Probably you index not needed token types, for
example, email address, file names....

> stop words and I will update the articles after that. And about my articles,
> it is quite big enough, the average length is about 2900 characters. And I
> think, I have to tune tsearch2 and concentrate to the garbage words. The
> most articles are indonesian language. What others way to tune the tsearch2
> beside the garbage words?

do you need proximity ? If no, use strip(tsvector) function to remove
coordinate information from tsvector.

don't index default configuration and index only needed tokens, for
example, to index only 3 type of tokens, first create 'qq' configuration
and specify tokens to index.

insert into pg_ts_cfg values('qq','default','en_US');
-- tokens to index
insert into pg_ts_cfgmap values('qq','lhword','{en_ispell,en_stem}');
insert into pg_ts_cfgmap values('qq','lword','{en_ispell,en_stem}');
insert into pg_ts_cfgmap values('qq','lpart_hword','{en_ispell,en_stem}');

> Beside that, I still have problem, if I do a simple query like:
> Select ids, keywords from dict where keywords='blabla' ('blabla' is a single
> word); The table have 200 million rows, I have index the keywords field. On
> the first time my query seem to slow to get the result, about 15-60 sec to
> get the result. I use latest pgAdmin3 to test all queries. But if I repeat
> the query I will get fast result. My question is why on the first time the
> query seem to slow.

because index pages should be readed from disk into shared buffers, so next
query will benefit from that. You need enough shared memory to get real
benefit. You may get postgresql stats and look on cache hit ration.

btw, how does your query ( keywords='blabla') relates to tsearch2 ?

> I try to cluster the table base on keyword index, but after 15 hours waiting
> and it doesn't finish I stop clustering. Now I think I have to change the

don't use cluster for big tables ! simple
  select *  into clustered_foo from foo order by indexed_field
would be faster and does the same job.

> file system for postgresql data. Do you have any idea what best for
> postgresql, JFS or XFS? I will not try reiserfs, because there are some
> rumors about reiserfs stability, although reiserfs is fast enough for
> postgresql. And must I down grade my postgresql from version 8.0.3 to 7.4.8?

I'm not experienced with filesystems :)