Re: understanding pg_stat* numbers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: understanding pg_stat* numbers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Qingqing,

Thanks for the info, I do know all issues you mentioned. I want to know
if there is any possibility to research performance problem in PostgreSQL
without voodoo techiques, at least at the level of pg itself. At this aspect,
I could answer myself: heap_blks_read is the # of blocks
'ordered' to read from disk and heap_blks_hit is the # of blocks
read from pg buffers.

One mystery remains, why stats show heap_blks_read > 0 for indexed search ?        select 1 from foo where id=5
I did pg_stat_reset() before run query.

Oleg