Re: win32 performance - fsync question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From E.Rodichev
Subject Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Date
Re: win32 performance - fsync question  (Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>)
Re: win32 performance - fsync question  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> The general question is - does PostgreSQL really need fsync? I suppose it
>> is a question for design, not platform-specific one. It sounds like only
>> one scenario, when fsync is useful, is to interprocess communication via
>> open file. But PostgreSQL utilize IPC for this, so does fsync is really
>> required?
>
> NO!
>
> Fsync is so that when your computer loses power without warning, you will
> have no data loss.
>
> If you turn it off, you run the risk of losing data if you lose power.
>
> Chris

This problem is addressed by file system (fsck, journalling etc.).
Is it reasonable to handle it directly within application?

Regards,
E.R.
Evgeny Rodichev                          Sternberg Astronomical Institute
email: er@sai.msu.su                              Moscow State University
Phone: 007 (095) 939 2383
Fax:   007 (095) 932 8841                       http://www.sai.msu.su/~er