Re: Comments to www list - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Comments to www list
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Are we going to continue to see all interactive document comments posted
> to the www list?

I'd like to see them in separate phorum "PostgreSQL documentation discussions",
or just redirect them to separate mailing list.

> nobody wrote:
>> Author: Alex French <alexfrench@gmail.com>
>> ----
>> Note that pg does not support changing the type of a column. Instead, use something like the code below to change,
say,a varchar(32) into varchar(64) (assuming the collumn is called abc):

>> BEGIN;
>> ALTER TABLE mytable ADD COLUMN abc_new varchar(64);
>> UPDATE mytable SET abc_new = abc;
>> ALTER TABLE mytable RENAME abc TO abc_old;
>> ALTER TABLE mytable RENAME abc_new TO abc;
>> COMMIT;
>>
>> If you're chaning the type of the column radically, you need to do more fancy type casting, but that's the theory.
>> ----
>> Manual page: http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/ddl-alter.html
>> Reject:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=reject&id=1966
>> Edit:        http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comment-edit.php?id=1966
>> Delete:      http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin/comments.php?action=delete&id=1966

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83