Re: tsearch2, ispell, utf-8 and german special characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tsearch2, ispell, utf-8 and german special characters
Date
List pgsql-general
Marcus,

it'd be easier for others if you show your tsearch2 configuration.
btw, what version of pgsql and tsearch2 (any patches applied ?)
Since I don't know german I could provide a little help, but I'd like
to have some words from you when you get all things working right,
so other people would appreciate your experience.

I wouldn't use tsearch2 in production until you understand your problem and
get tsearch2 works correctly.

    Oleg

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Markus Wollny wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Okay, I changed locale via initdb and I've got it working to some extent now.
>
> Now I've got some problem with the ISpell-dictionary and the stopwords-list. Both have been compiled with
de_DE.utf8-locale.

> When I
> SELECT to_tsvector('default_german',
>                            'Jeden Tag wirst Du ein bisschen ?lter, aber Du lernst');
>
> I get
> 'tag':2 'aber':8 'eint':5 'lernen':10 '?lter':7 'bisschen':6
>
> I've got three questions regarding this result:
> 1. both 'ein' and 'aber' are included in the stopwords-file, but they show up in the result, whereas 'jeden',
'wirst','du' are removed correctly - why is the stopword-list ignored for the former two?
> 2. why does 'ein' appear as 'eint'?
> 3. is this result actually no cause of alarm, so can I deploy tsearch2 to my production databases nevertheless?
>
> I'm using http://j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/dict/igerman98-20030222.tar.bz2 (the latest version of Heinz Knutzen's
dictionary)and I've edited its Makefile to use de_DE.utf8 in the locale settings; all.words was indeed the file used to
generatethe hash, so I guess that I can now be more or less sure that I've actually followed the instructions in the
docsprecisely. I dropped any references to the german snowball stemmer dictionary which I had configured as fallback,
socurrently there's only this one dictionary configured for ts_name default_german and tok_alias lhword, lpard_hword,
lword(the remaining tog_alias entries are set to use the simple dictionary).