Re: tsearch2 column update produces "word too long" error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tsearch2 column update produces "word too long" error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Markus Wollny wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm currently testing deployment of tsearch2 on our forum table. The
> table is huge in itself - some 2GB of data without the indexes. I have
> got PostgreSQL 7.4RC2 running on a test machine, installed tsearch2 to
> my database, added the new column to the table and tried to update it in
> the recommended fashion:
>
> UPDATE ct_com_board_message
>             SET ftindex=to_tsvector('default',coalesce(user_login,'')
> ||' '|| coalesce(title,'') ||' '|| coalesce(text,''));
>
> It does run for a while but at some point I get "ERROR:  word is too
> long"; I guess that this is caused by some idiot user(s) writing some
> Joycean nonsense (but most probably without the literary value) or
> drivelling about their holidays in
> Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Wales). Now
> what could I do in order to intercept this error?

Word length is limited by 2K. What's exactly the word  tsearch2 complained on ?
'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch' is fine :)

btw, don't forget to configure properly dictionaries, so you don't have
a lot of unique words.

> Kind regards
>
>     Markus

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83