Re: pg_restore and user defined types, several other - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: pg_restore and user defined types, several other
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This is known problem with pg_dump.
Don't remember if it's solved in 7.3
Regards,
    Oleg
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the ltree module and located several problems, I think not all problems are really ltree related but might
bea pg_dump/pg_restore problem.

> Here are the problems I've encountered:
> * pg_restore tries to create a table with ltree and ltree[] datatypes before the type itself is created, so it
fails.
> * several functions are already defined in template1, so "create database " will restore these functions. pg_restore
willtry to restore those functions as well

>   and fails. Maybe "create or replace function" can be used here? I'm willing to do this if it's ok.
> * I've gist indices on ltree[] columns, and when pg_restore tries to restore it it will report:
>   pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  data type ltree[] has no default operator class for
accessmethod "gist"

>           You must specify an operator class for the index or define a
>           default operator class for the data type
>
>   It seems those extra functions for index support are not restored. Removing the commit/end from ltree.sql and
runningit again (will report a lot of errors, but a few

>   inserts as well) will make this work again. However it requires a lot of DBA assistance to restore.
>
> All other problems are solvable by using "pg_restore -L" and using a modified archiv index, but IMO this should work
outof the box.