Re: PostgreSQL search engine (Perl) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: PostgreSQL search engine (Perl)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Anders Nielsen wrote:

> The problem with in-database search-engines are that they're usually tagged
> on as a add-on feature and doesn't recieve the concentrated programming
> effort that is required to create a high-performance full-text indexing
> solution.

You're right.
RDBMS isn't good for high-performance full-text indexing, im my
opinion. I dont' know commercial databases which have built-in
fts support. I mean 'fair' built-in search engine with
transactions support and simultaneous indexing.
We did all the best we could at the moment and for small and
medium sites openfts is very good. There is room for improving
and we hope we'll keep our hands on it.

> I'd be interested in comparing performance stats with people who use
> OpenFTS, as I have a 8.5 gig fulltext Lucene index (including the indexed
> text) and I am more than happy with the response times I'm seeing.

I bet Lucene will be a winner.
There is no magick in Lucene performance. Inverted indices are fast
for searching but very-very-very slow for updating.
Probably, your application doesnt require so much from database.
It's another story. We've built many search engines like Lucene and we do
know all pro's and contra's, but there are applicatios where transactional
integrity and access to metadata are much more important than performance.

> regards,
> Anders Nielsen

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83