Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ANDREW PERRIN
Subject Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Interesting - my experience is that Access, at least, generally treats
NULL's correctly:

(This was done under Access 2000):
create table foo (name text(20))
insert into foo values ("bar");
insert into foo values ("bar");
insert into foo values ("bar");
insert into foo values ("bar");
insert into foo values (NULL);
insert into foo values (NULL);
insert into foo values (NULL);
insert into foo values (NULL);

select count(*) from foo where name=NULL;
returns 0

select count(*) from foo where name is null;
returns 4

select count(*) from foo where name <> "bar";
returns 0

Cheers,
Andy

---------------------------------------------------------  Andrew J. Perrin - Assistant Professor of Sociology
Universityof North Carolina, Chapel Hill

269 Hamilton Hall CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA  andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin