Re: UPPER and LOWER dosen't work correctly on special caracters (umlauts) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Nishad Prakash
Subject Re: UPPER and LOWER dosen't work correctly on special caracters (umlauts)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:

> Gert (Pache) reports a bug with a severity of 3
>
> Short Description
> UPPER and LOWER dosen't work correctly on special caracters (umlauts)
>
> Long Description
> The Upper- and the lower function don't convert the german umlauts (ü.ä.ö.)
> but leave them in their original condition
>
> Sample Code
>

> No file was uploaded with this report

You can make this work with some help from your OS.  Have your locale set
correctly to recognize non-ascii characters when postmaster starts.  I did
it by setting LC_CTYPE to iso_8859_1 in the postgres superuser's shell
initialization file.  Note that this won't work unless the locale is
actually available on your machine; you can't just type the same thing I
did and hope for the best.

If it helps, this is from the postgres superuser's shell at our site:
[1:42pm] /data/postgres> uname -a
SunOS ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

[1:43pm] /data/postgres> locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

This is not a complete solution (collation is still incorrect) but it
should get you started.  Hope it helps.

Nishad
--
"Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads