Re: INSERT extremely slow with large data sets - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Slavisa Garic
Subject Re: INSERT extremely slow with large data sets
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Dann

Here is the schema and also could you just be more specific on COPY
command. ALso does talking dirrectly to API speed things up ? (I am new to
databases but i am learning quickly)
-- NimrodEnfJob --create table NimrodEnfJob(    exp_id  INTEGER not null references NimrodEnfExperiment,    task_id
INTEGERnot null references NimrodTask,    pgroup_id   INTEGER not null references NimrodParameterGroup,    agent_id
INTEGERreferences NimrodAgent on delete set null,    jobname varchar(255) not null,    admin   char(1) not null default
'F'           check (admin in ('F', 'T')),    taskname    varchar(255) not null,    param_text  TEXT not null,    open
 char(1) not null default 'F'            check (open in ('F', 'T')),    control varchar(8) not null default 'start'
      check (control in ('nostart', 'start', 'stop')),    status  varchar(16) not null default 'ready'            check
(statusin ('ready', 'executing', 'failed',                'done')),    cpulength   real not null,    sleeptime   real
notnull,    filesize    real not null,    cputime   real,    waittime    real,    filetime    real,    filebytes
integer,   priority    integer not null default 100,    create_time timestamp not null default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
start_timetimestamp,    finish_time timestamp,    budget      real not null default 0.0,    servername  varchar(255),
error_info  varchar(255) not null default '',    more_info   TEXT not null default '',    primary key (exp_id,
jobname),   foreign key (exp_id, taskname) references NimrodEnfTask);

Also these are the indexes on this table. I created them on the columnt
that are most commonly accessed:create unique index nej_idxON NimrodEnfJob (exp_id, pgroup_id);create unique index
nej_idx1ONNimrodEnfJob (pgroup_id);create index nej_idx2ON NimrodEnfJob (status);create unique index nej_idx3ON
NimrodEnfJob(status, pgroup_id);create index nej_idx4ON NimrodEnfJob (status, agent_id);create index nej_idx5ON
NimrodEnfJob(agent_id);

I did notice that removing those indexes doesn't import by much. Similar
behaviour is observed but it just takes a bit less time to insert (0.01
less then usually at 60000 records)

Regards,
Slavisa

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Dann Corbit