Re: LARGE db dump/restore for upgrade question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Crotwell
Subject Re: LARGE db dump/restore for upgrade question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

Just did a vacuum, took almost 4 hours. The interesting thing about this
is that there are only two small tables that have updates, everything else
has been just inserts. I would have thought that a vacuum of a database
shouldn't take very long if there aren't alot of "deleted" rows.

Another problem is that the size of the database is now 52Gb!!! I
assume that it is WAL files growing out of control? I thought this was
fixed in 7.1.2? As soon as I start a second vacuum the size drops back
down to 27Gb.

thanks,
Philip

pooh 19>date ; time vacuumdb sceppdata ; date
Wed Aug 15 09:09:19 EDT 2001
VACUUM
0.03u 0.08s 3:49:07.53 0.0%
Wed Aug 15 12:58:29 EDT 2001