Large Objects Across a Network - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Russell
Subject Large Objects Across a Network
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with large objects - I don't need Gb, but around
10k to 30k per object. It seems that the files in the
lo_import/lo_export calls have to be on the same machine as the backend
and furthermore that they can't contain symbolic links.

Am I right so far?

If so, then how does a person on a second machine get a large object.

e.g., I'm working on machine HOST-SLOW, and the backend is on HOST-FAST.

    $ export PGHOST=HOST-FAST
    $ psql DB
      select lo_export(T.X,'/tmp/X') from T where ...

will give you a file on HOST-FAST so I need to make sure HOST-SLOW can
see the file.

Is there a way of having a network client use large objects without requiring
NFS or similar to share disks?

Cheers,
Geoff Russell