constraints don't work... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew M Tracey
Subject constraints don't work...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I'm busy trying to set up a database for project.

I'm using postgresql, but I don't know which version - as the:

<select version();>

command doesn't work, the message:

<Syntax error at or near "version">

is given, in addition to this the constraints don't work when I'm entering
tables - I type:

< create table genetic_line (
 name varchar(6) not null,
 chromosome_location int,
 phenotype varchar(80),
 staining_pattern varchar(80),
 first_citation varchar(80),
 unique (name)
 ); >

and I get the messege:

< WARN:parser: Syntax error at or near "unique" >

for constraints <primary key> and <foreign key>, where I put in:

< create table genetic_line (
 name varchar(6) not null,
 chromosome_location int,
 phenotype varchar(80),
 staining_pattern varchar(80),
 first_citation varchar(80),
 primary key (name)
 ); >

I get:

< WARN:parser: Syntax error at or near "name" >

so this one does't appear to like the use of <primary key> as opposed to
the actual word <unique> in the previous example.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please!?

thanks,

Andrew Tracey.