Re: Inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Inheritance
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 30 May 2000, Christophe Labouisse wrote:

> I have a table (A) with a few "sibbling" tables (B and C for

You probably mean "child" tables.

> instance). When I make the following query : select id from A* where
> [condition] pgsql returns ids taken from A, B or C (which is what I
> want). Is there a way to know to what table the id actually belong ?

No. We're kind of pondering a way to solve this. However, according to the
SQL99 data model, the row is shared between A and B or C respectively, so
when you select from a* then you get rows from "a", period. I know this
doesn't help in practice, though.