Re: Configuration and build clean-up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Configuration and build clean-up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> What do you mean by automated packaging?

make dist, integrating the release_prep thing into the makefiles.
Something like make rpm-spec would eventually be nice as well.

> One thing to watch out for is that we will probably still need
> something comparable to the current setup's "template" mechanism to
> select system-specific hints (like which tas() implementation to use).

Yes, there's really no way around keeping that.

> I didn't notice anything about libtool in your list of items,

The problem with libtool is this: it can't handle multiple languages at
once. That means that you'd have to build libpq and libpq++ with
sufficiently similar compilers. I guess this is how it is already but at
least it would have to be carefully evaluated. One option would be to use
libtool for all C stuff and keep the current funny business for libpq++,
or we could volunteer as earlier testers for libtool's multi-language
branch. All in all it looks like a separate undertaking.