Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Philip Warner wrote:

> >I don't see a problem with disallowing some DDL commands in a transaction
> >as long as they throw an error and the transaction aborts.
>
> Is it really necessary to abort the TX? Seems a little antisocial - can't
> you just return an error, and let the user/application decide if it needs
> to abort?

I'm afraid yes, it is necessary. Either the whole transaction or none of
it. Anything else is opening a can of worms that you can't control unless
you have a Ph.D. in fancy databases or something. (Incidentally, I know
that a non-zero amount of people around here have one of those, but that
won't help the rest of us much. :{ )