Re: [HACKERS] pgbash-1.1.1 release - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgbash-1.1.1 release
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
That's really cool !
I just install and played a little bit.
I found a minor problem :
I have to connect to any database to issue
exec_sql -l database
I have no my personal database
Here is a log:

bash-2.03$ exec_sql -l database
(-402)FATAL 1:  Database megera does not exist in pg_database
bash-2.03$ exec_sql "connect to discovery"
# PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1, compiled by gcc 2.95.1
# CONNECT TO  discovery:5432  AS  discovery  USER  megera

bash-2.03$ exec_sql -l database
# Databases list

datname  |datdba|encoding|datpath
---------+------+--------+---------
template1|   505|      16|template1
apod     |    11|      16|apod

I don't understand this requirements just to list all databases
Regards,
        Oleg

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, SAKAIDA wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 17:24:57 +0900
> From: SAKAIDA <sakaida@psn.co.jp>
> To: hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Cc: pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [HACKERS] pgbash-1.1.1 release
>
> Hi,
>
>   With many cooperators, I have made a *bash built-in command* for
> PostgreSQL called "pgbash".
>
>   The pgbash is the system which offers the 'direct SQL'/'embedded
> SQL' interface for PostgreSQL by being included in the bash-2.x
> shell.
>

> Features of pgbash
> -------------------
>
> 1.The pgbash has a function which is equivalent to psql except for
>   the interactive input processing function.
>
> 2.It is possible that pgbash carries out the interactive input
>   processing  using the hysteresis editing function ( history, !,
>   fc command ) of bash.
>
> 3.An output of retrieval result and database information of pgbash
>   uses PSprint() which improved PQprint(). By PSprint(), it is
>   possible to output by plain table type, plain table + outer frame
>   type and HTML table type. And, it is possible to display NULL
>   value string(like '-NULL-') and bit zero string(like '-0-').
>
> 4.It is possible that pgbash manipulates multiple databases using
>   CONNECT, DISCONNECT and SET CONNECTION (or -d option ).
>
> 5.The pgbash has a function which substitutes the retrieval result
>   for the shell variable using FETCH INTO statement.
>
> 6.It is possible to set CGI mode. In CGI mode, the pgbash switches
>   the output to HTML, and read the datat by GET/POST method, and
>   read the data of HTTP_COOKIE.
>
> 7.The pgbash sets "error code", "error message", "number of tuples",
>   etc to the shell variable. Therefore, it is possible to know the
>   condition after the SQL execution.
>

>   Details is as follows.
>   http://www.psn.co.jp/PostgreSQL/pgbash/index-e.html
>
> # I am very glad, if many people will use the pgbash.
>
> --
> Regards.
>
> SAKAIDA Masaaki  -- Osaka, Japan$B!!(B
> # Sorry, I am not good at English.

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83