Re: [HACKERS] postgres processes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Remigiusz Sokolowski
Subject Re: [HACKERS] postgres processes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>     The defaults in the Apache configuration are
>
>       StartServers          5
>       MaxClients            256
>       MinSpareServers       5
>       MaxSpareServers       10
>
>     This means, that at  startup  Apache  will  create  5  server
>     processes  that  can handle requests simultaneously. When the
>     site gets busy  and  some  of  them  take  longer  to  handle
>     requests  (especially  scripting requests), it will start new
>     servers (max one per second) until the limit of 256  parallel
>     server  processes  is  reached. If they finish their requests
>     and become idle again, some of them get killed if  there  are
>     more than 10 idle Apache processes.
>
>     This  is  normally  a good policy. It ensures that small file
>     requests can still get served while some long  running  CGI's
>     block their server process.

My problem is, that server is used not only as database server, but also
(and in general) as mail server - I think that tehre are some other
services too.
I've used persistent connections to database (and I think I now understand
why so big processor usage), so postgres processes haven't die after
serve requests but wait for another.
Hmm... I have one question more - every postgres process takes about 5% of
processor time ( I've used to measure top command ) - it is normal or may
be processor is too slow?
    Rem