Re: [SQL] index on aggregate function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Remigiusz Sokolowski
Subject Re: [SQL] index on aggregate function
Date
List pgsql-sql
> > > I somewhere read that it is possible to create an index on aggregate functions
> > > in PostgreSQL. Which syntax do I have to use for it?
> > >
> > > test=> CREATE TABLE test ( name VARCHAR(32) );
> > > CREATE
> > > test=> CREATE INDEX test_idx ON test lower(name);
> > > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "lower"
> > >
> > > gives me a parser error.
> >
> > Right syntax is
> > CREATE INDEX test_idx ON test (lower(name) text_ops);
> > I try it and index was generated without error
> >     Rem
>
> Well, that exact statement gives me:
>
> ERROR: BuildFuncTupleDesc: function 'lower(varchar)' does not exist
>
> I also tried varchar_ops and char_ops instead of text_ops, but that does not
> resolve the problem. I'm using PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on Linux without problems so
> far.

I have holidays and now have to read so much mails, that I can't find if
there were any other suggestions about that. AFAIK there is no lower()
function for varchar type and this is a problem - solution is to use text
type or create function lower() for varchar type.
    Rem

Remigiusz Sokolowski      e-mail: rems@gdansk.sprint.pl           * *