Re: Encoding issues - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Encoding issues
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to define the answer as "UTF-8".
> That would at least provide serviceable behavior to a goodly group of
> users, whereas the current implementation seems guaranteed to fail
> for everyone (other than us ASCII-only Neanderthals who don't care
> anyway...)

I've committed a change to the driver to send all initial startup data in
UTF-8.  It wouldn't be tough to expose this as a URL parameter for
initialConnectionEncoding because I've refactored the encoding decisions
out of UnixCrypt and MD5Digest.  I haven't done that at this point because
I'm lazy and I'm not sure how many people actually need such a feature.

Kris Jurka