Re: Should creating a new base type require superuser status? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Should creating a new base type require superuser status?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I think being able to return cstring from a user defined function is
> quite dangerous already.  I doubt we would ever give that capability to
> non-superusers.
>
> I do agree that creating base types should require a superuser though.
> It too seems dangerous just on principle, even if today there's no
> actual hole (that we already know of).

pl/java already allows non-superusers to create functions returning
cstring and base types built off of these functions.  It seems safe to me
if pl/java is doing the construction of cstring from a user provided
java.lang.String.

http://wiki.tada.se/display/pljava/Creating+a+Scalar+UDT+in+Java

Kris Jurka