Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users
Date
Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
JDBC causing the connection to close after executing a COPY command  (Altaf Malik <mmalik_altaf@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Right now it's all pretty broken, and I really question whether it's
> sane to put workarounds like this proposed patch into client-side
> drivers.  If you aren't consistent about the encoding you use for
> non-ASCII usernames, you're going to lose somewhere along the line
> anyway.  So why not just recommend that people do that?

For the record, I'm in favor of changing our use of initial setup encoding
from SQL-ASCII to UTF-8.  While it doesn't solve the root of the problem,
it does allow people to use non-ascii user and database names if they set
them up appropriately and doesn't seem to harm anything.  The original
patch's suggested use of the client's environment encoding seems random to
me.  If decide on UTF-8, we'll at least be able to tell people how to make
it work when they cannot control the environment their clients operate in.

Kris Jurka