Re: patch adding new regexp functions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jeremy Drake
Subject Re: patch adding new regexp functions
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Jeremy Drake wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > > regexp_split(string text, pattern text[, flags text]) returns setof
> > > text
> > >
> > > regexp_split_array(string text, pattern text[. flags text[, limit
> > > int]]) returns text[]
> >
> > Since you are not splitting an array but returning an array, I would
> > think that "regexp_split_to_array" would be better, and the other
> > should then be "regexp_split_to_table".
>
> OK
>
> > But why does the second one have a limit and the first one doesn't?

I will rename the functions regexp_split_to_(table|array) and I will add
an optional limit parameter to the regexp_split_to_table function, for
consistency and to avoid ordering concerns with LIMIT.

--
Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world.
        -- Lily Tomlin