Re: Referential Integrity and SHARE locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Referential Integrity and SHARE locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

> There are issues, yes. Dropping PKs is a very irregular occurrence nor
> is it likely to be part of a complex transaction. It wouldn't bother me
> to say that if a transaction already holds a RowExclusiveLock or a
> RowShareLock it cannot upgrade to an AccessExclusiveLock.

Actually, since rearranging PKs is such a drastic change I would expect
them only to be part of a large complex transaction.  I know for apps I
work on it would be part of a single transaction script that updated
whole chunks of data and schema.

Kris Jurka